Thursday 29 August 2013

Getting the Vision

"I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me...When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air.  One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other---This is My Beloved Son.  Hear Him!"




When I first memorized the first vision, something very interesting began to happen.  I became a different missionary.  On the street; at the doorstep; in people's homes.  More bold in my teaching and more focused on the unique message we share: the Restoration through the prophet Joseph Smith.    

Everything we are as members of Jesus Christ's church points back to this account.  Everything we love and stand for is because of a restoration of truth to the Earth.  That's why whenever a missionary talks to someone, they share the Book of Mormon.  We leave home for two years not to find common ground with other religions, but to share why we're different; and we're different because of what happened that morning, in a grove, to a fourteen year old boy.

Have you actually read through one of these pamphlets?

It is empowering to have one of the most influential and incredible moments in history stored in your heart.  Whenever I get the chance, I share Joseph's account.  I know from experience that just speaking about this event brings a Spirit that would normally be unattainable.  So, my challenge to you is to partake in this same spirit when you share the gospel.  Will you memorize the first vision?  I promise that as you do, you will also experience a change in yourself.  You will find more power in your spiritual reserves when the opportunity comes to share what you know to be true.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These words  silence the surrounding high-street and put you in a grove.
You feel a bit younger when you say them.
A little less experienced.
A little more humble.
When you read  them, you can hear the words of a loving Father,
and learn of a young boy's experience.
When you know  them, you can feel the Spirit that was there,
and know that this is the true church.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment